UW-Parkside’s baseball facility is known as Oberbruner Field, named after the late Ken “Red” Oberbruner, who coached the Rangers from 1970-1991. Oberbruner posted a 244-196 record at UW-Parkside to go with his 657-323 lifetime record.
Prior to his time as a Ranger, Oberbruner coached for some 23 years at the former Milton College, in Milton, Wisconsin. From 1959-1980, he served as a scout for the Pittsburgh Pirates, signing 24 players to major league contracts.
As an athlete, Oberbruner played in both the NBA (Fort Wayne Pistons) and in professional baseball (St. Louis Browns). He graduated from Notre Dame in 1940, where he excelled in both basketball and baseball.
Oberbruner, who resided in Burlington, Wisconsin, passed away in September of 1991. On February 23, 1997, Oberbruner was inducted into the UW-Parkside Athletic Hall of Fame. His jersey “No. 1” was subsequently retired and is commemorated with a sign on the outfield wall of the facility which bears his name.
Oberbruner was largely responsible for the original building of the facility (1970), located off of Highway E on the far south end of campus. Since then, it has undergone some major facelifts, most recent of which include the installation of a new wooden outfield wall. Both the wall and a new electronic scoreboard were installed in 2007.
New concrete dugouts were put in place in 2006. In 2001, a construction project brought a grandstand to Oberbruner Field, including 200 seats from the now demolished Milwaukee County Stadium, which was home to the Milwaukee Braves, Milwaukee Brewers and the Green Bay Packers. Fans can enjoy the look from the lower level grandstand seats or take in a spectacular view from the adjacent hill which runs along the third base line.